vendredi 23 septembre 2011

The ancient and the modern, side by side in India are constant sights in India. The city palace in Jaipur was lovely for its clean grounds and spacious courtyards. Otherwise, the older palace of Amber is much more breath-taking, but you'll have to wait for the next post for those pictures. Next to the city palace is the remarkable Jantar Mantar with its enormous sundials and other astronomical instruments which are still used today. I especially like the women in saris who sweep up the leaves and dig out the weeds. Not the most practical garment for gardening, but they are an added attraction, like colorful flowers. I enjoyed my visit to Jaipur even though it's dirty, dusty, noisy and almost impossible to cross the streets due to a constant flow of traffic.
And I was surprised myself that I was actually happy to return to Fatehpur and the quiet calm of the haveli.




Posted by Picasa

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire