jeudi 24 novembre 2011
It's strange to be spending Thanksgiving so far away from home. Already in France, it was sometimes difficult to cook a big dinner and invite friends, knowing that you had to get up at 7am the next morning and go to work. But here, it seems even farther removed. I tried to explain to Luxmi the cook what Thanksgiving is and she concluded: it's a religious festival. In a way she's right, even if most Americans don't consider it a religious holiday. Here in India, they have festivals every month, sometimes more than one per month. And right now, it's the wedding season, so just about every evening, there's a wedding procession passing through town. Weddings, like religious festivals, are an excuse to make a lot of noise! Trucks with loudspeakers playing Bollywood music, DJs in private houses with blaring music shared by all, a,d fireworks: every night fireworks! But I've learned to sleep through it all. Only the muezzin still wakes me up at 5:30 every morning. I'm learning the words by heart.
Inscription à :
Publier les commentaires (Atom)

Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire